Tropical Top End - May to Nov - 4 Days
- Duration: 4 Days (approx.)
- Location: Darwin
- Product code: LDG45
- Day 1: Darwin - Kakadu National Park
- Day 2: Kakadu National Park – Katherine
- Day 3: Katherine Gorge Cruise – Darwin
- Day 4: Litchfield National Park - Farewell from Darwin
As this Short Break departs at 7.15am, accommodation will need to be pre-booked for the previous night.
Cruise on the Adelaide River, home to over 1,600 crocodiles, on the Jumping Crocodile cruise. See these prehistoric creatures up-close as your local guide entices the crocodiles to leap out of the water. Then you’ll travel into Kakadu National Park. Covering more than 20,000 square kilometres, World Heritage listed Kakadu. The combination of mangrove fringed coastal areas, expansive flood plains, lowland hills, and open woodland and forest habitats, make Kakadu one of the most diverse landscapes you’ll ever experience. It’s home to a myriad of animals, hundreds of bird species and thousands of different insects and plants. Enjoy lunch in Kakadu National Park before a stop at the Bowali Visitor Centre. Continue to Ubirr, where you’ll climb up through the ancient Aboriginal rock art galleries, believed to be 20,000 years old, to the lookout for a view over the surrounding wetlands..
Hotel: Mercure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel (Superior), Kakadu.
Included Meals: Lunch
A scenic flight is the ideal way to appreciate the sheer scale and beauty of Kakadu and the Arnhem Land Escarpment. You’ll discover winding rivers, spectacular 1.8 billion years of continuous erosion, billabongs, flood plains and view the Archway, East Alligator River Valley, Mikinj Valley Billabongs and Magela Floodplains.
- $150 adult
- $120 child
Take a guided walk at Nourlangie to view Aboriginal rock art. Continue to Warradjan Cultural Centre, before a cruise on the famous Yellow Water Billabong to observe saltwater crocodiles and prolific wildlife. This afternoon travel via Pine Creek to Katherine
Hotel: Ibis Styles Katherine (Superior), Katherine.
Included Meals: Lunch
Enjoy a morning cruise through Katherine Gorge and watch for crocodiles basking in the sun. Then proceed to the informative Nitmiluk Visitor Centre for an opportunity to look around, before continuing to Edith Falls. The paperbark and pandanus fringed natural pool at the base of the falls is safe for swimming throughout most of the year (conditions permitting). Stop at Adelaide River War Cemetery, en route to Darwin.
Hotel: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin (Superior), Darwin.
Included Meals: Breakfast
Follow the Stuart Highway via Batchelor to Litchfield National Park. View Florence Falls before making your way down the stairs to the plunge pool below with an opportunity to swim. Visit Tolmer Falls for a magnificent view of the water cascading down to the deep waterhole below. Venture to Wangi Falls for another opportunity for a swim in the large crystal-clear pool and an optional steady climb through the rainforest to the top of the falls. You’ll stop for a picnic lunch. A great day also for taking many interesting photos, including the amazing stands of termite mounds. Return to Darwin, arriving early evening, where your short break concludes.
Included Meals: Lunch
As this Short Break concludes at 6.00pm, you may like to pre-book accommodation for tonight.
Please Note: This itinerary is valid for travel from 1 April 2016. Due to seasonal conditions this itinerary may change without notice.
Tues & Sat, 7.15am (May – Oct), Darwin
Green season itinerary operates Nov – Apr see tour DG55 (Day 2 overnight in Darwin instead of Katherine).
Day 4, approximately 6:00pm, Darwin
- Kakadu National Park Ticket
- Breakfast (1)
- Lunch (3)
- Jumping Crocs Cruise
- Yellow Water Billabong Cruise
- Katherine Gorge Breakfast Cruise
- Experienced Driver Guides
- Detailed and informative commentary
- Travel in an air-conditioned coach
- Return airport transfers- flight details to be provided 45 days prior to travel
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Sunglasses, hat and sunscreen
- Water bottle to hold 1 litre
- Jacket in cooler months
- Swimmers & towel
Low to moderate level of fitness required:
- Kakadu: Small amount of walking including a 10-15 minute walk on uneven ground with a gradual climb to the viewing point. There is wheelchair access, however, this is on uneven ground and is accessible for only a small part of the walk and must have a carer to assist.
- Katherine: Small amount of walking.
- Litchfield: Florence Falls – Climb 100 steel steps to top or walk at steady pace on the uneven base walk to viewing platform.
Tolmer Falls – steady 10 minute walk on established path.
Wangi Falls – 5 minute walk through rainforest.